6/16/12

PAINTED KITCHENS


I LOVE PAINTED KITCHENS
Greige Design
They don't have to be white, necessarily,
although the white ones make me happy
but there are other options, too...
like lovely dove gray
I wouldn't complain about this color - not even a little bit


Houzz
 a creamy beige is also nice
especially with dark wood floors
with this color I feel there needs to be good contrast 
to keep it from the blahhs
House to Home
 or the palest hint of robins egg blue
nice with black granite and white trim
Paloma 81
but white....

Coastal Cabinets
has my heart...

Decorpad
hook, line and sinker..

Cote de Texas
its the freshest
cleanest
most beautiful

The Enchanted Home
 unless its black....
The Enchanted Home
 hmmmmm...
(excuse the drool)...

IT'S TIME TO ANSWER A QUESTION FROM A READER
(AND A FOLLOWER I MIGHT ADD - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

"Claudine, I have been following your site for quite some time now (love it!) and finally really really need some help with a paint color for my kitchen cabinets. We have a 1960's cape with fairly low ceilings, not a ton of direct sunlight, and I love the look of off white/tan cabinets - I'm scared of the stark white look! A friend suggested SW 6141 Softer Tan...do you think this will be too dark or should I match the cabinets to my current trim which is BM Linen White? HELP? My impatient (and color challenged (!) husband is waiting for my decision to proceed but I'm scared to mess up this one!"


Thank you for following the blog!  I'm so happy you love it - I love creating it. 
Sherwin Williams Softer Tan is a cream that looks a lot darker on the paint chip than it actually does on a cabinet.  


In this photo it almost looks white, but that is because all the wood trim is painted the same color and the walls are darker - it fools the eye a little - kind of like the way Navajo White looks white until you hold up a true white next to it.
So I'm a little concerned with your trim being Linen White, that the Softer Tan on the cabinets will look like you didn't match the paint properly, or that the paint yellowed with age.

The obvious solution is to paint your trim the same as the cabinets - but if that is something you really don't want to do, you really can't go wrong with Linen White by Benjamin Moore.  It is a warm white as opposed to cold and stark and it looks wonderful with warm wood tones.  It would be my choice of the two - but then I'm slightly obsessed with white kitchens... I love them.  A lot.

Decorpad
 I do love the Softer Tan on walls next to white trim and cabinets in the photo above.  I don't know what color your walls are currently in that room, but you might consider using the Softer Tan on the walls (if it works with your color scheme) and the Linen white on the cabinets.   Good luck with your paint choices!

6 comments:

  1. I had my kitchen cabinets painted in Benjamin Moore Collector's Item (AF-45) and I've been really happy with it. I didn't want a stark white either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thanks for the tip on BM Collector's Item. Its always great to hear about colors that work first hand.! Thanks so much for reading.

      Delete
  2. I am a big, big fan of white dove on kitchen cabinets! I recently built a house, and my architect wanted us to do a taupe or greige on the cabinets, but my designer wanted white - she felt it matched the look of the house, the amount of light the kitchen received, the tones of the marble. Surprisingly, she was a strong proponent of linen white, which I thought might be a bit creamy and even yellow leaning (although I have had this color on some of the walls of my old house for years, and love it).

    So we went with linen white, and it has been perfect. Everything is linen white - walls, trim, cabinets. It turned out perfectly!

    - Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly,
      Love to hear about the Linen white. It really is a wonderful color, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Hey! I love the Softer Tan on walls next to white trim and cabinets too. We have the same paint colors! :)

    ReplyDelete

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...